We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

September 2013 Recap

When I started this whole blog, the premise was that I would be passing on my knowledge and experience, (or lack of), to others behind me. I did this because so many people have done the same for me over the years. I know that what they have taught me through their books, their notes, their magazine articles, and their blogs, has been invaluable, and without their stories, we may have never embarked on this adventure at all. So, I am going to try to do a recap of each month covering concerns, budget, and things I learned that I wish I had known before I started, so that someone contemplating making the jump can perhaps learn something useful from it.

Dates: Sep 1-30, 2013

Polleppel Island, NY(on the Hudson River) - Nyack - New York City - New Jersey - Atlantic Ocean - Cape May - Delaware Bay - Chesapeake City - Chesapeake Bay

Sailing: 5 hrs
Motoring: 61 hrs (includes motor-sailing)

Budget Amount:      $1590.00 US (All budgeting is in US funds)

Charts/Books:            $70.00     
Boat Parts:               $470.00     
Marinas:                   $715.00
Diesel:                      $150.00
Beer:                        $147.00
Grocery:                   $371.00
Restaurant:               $160.00
Fees/Services:           $141.00     (pump-outs, laundry, wifi, taxis, etc...)
Clothing/Shopping      $81.00
Misc:                        $690.00     (Propane, new cell phone, Trip to London, etc...)

Total:                      $2995.00
Debit/Credit:          -$1405.00

I know I have to publish this number, because I said I would, but please don't tell Serena. Main reason for the overture, the trip to the UK to deliver the Nic 55. Total cost for the trip was $2410.00 CAD. Most of the expense came out during the summer, and the only extra was the cash that I spent while I was there, $570.00 US, over half of which was train costs; and that portion shows under misc. Plus, we had to pay out $560.00 for marina fees to park Vita while I was gone. And, on top of that, we are still working on the boat, things that didn't get done before we left. Next month will probably be bad too, as we are at the Annapolis boat show, where we have already spent $450.00 on foul weather gear, but we'll save that for next month.

Things We Learned

1. Stay the hell away from 79th St Boat Basin in NYC, unless you are a mexican jumping bean, or a masochist.

2. The ocean is beautiful, and teaming with life. More so than we ever imagined.

3. Smells are the triggers for seasickness. Learning your trigger, and keeping it off the boat, will help slow down the effect. Serena's smell is stinky feet, or the head, neither of which is good. Mine is bad breath, so I learned on the delivery.

4. Wifi connections are usually password locked, but most marinas keep it simple by using their phone number, or their address. When that doesn't work, ask a young employee, they usually don't care, and will offer up the goods.

5. People are great. If you're not a big fan of the human race, cruising will definitely renew your faith in mankind. The only caveat is that you stay away from the news, because that's where all the bad people are, oh, and retail sales, but they come by that honestly, customers are nasty.

6. American grocery stores with their customer cards are a pain in the ass, but if you don't have one, the cost of food is insane. Serena bought some chicken that was $15 without the card, and $4 with the card. Robbery comes to mind, but that is illegal, right?

7. 10 lbs of propane does us for 3 months. That is echoed by others we have talked to or read about. And, when one tank goes empty, keep and eye out for where to get it filled. Filling stations are few and far between, and in some of the strangest spots. Here we filled our tank at the liquor store, of all places.

That's it for this month. Next month I will try and do this again. The format may change a little as I go, because this is new. If anyone reading the blog would like to see anything in particular, let me know, I may be able to squeeze it in, especially if it seems like good info to pass on.

Now back to your regular blogging........

No comments:

Post a Comment