We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Transmission Removed

Down to the boat on Friday for a few hours. I needed to get the transmission out so that I could take it to Toronto to get refurbished. The tranny on the little Yamars use a cone clutch; the cone slides into one of two cups, and the friction locks them together to drive the shaft. Well, when these get a little older the cups tend to get a little shiny and some slipping occurs. Ours likes to slip when its warmed up and we take it out of gear, then it takes some time and RPMs to engage, making a clunk sound when it finally does. And for the record, "clunk" sounds in engines are bad.

It wasn't too rough a job. A little blood, a little dirt, and a lot of cursing deities names, but she finally came.

First disconnect the shaft coupling. I had to remove the coupling itself to get that little 1/8" extra room to fit in the socket driver. I had a 3", 6", and 8" extension, what I really needed was a 7", but I don't think they make such a creature.
 Disconnected the shifter linkage. And took this picture just to remind myself that this is where the ground connection is for the battery. I do not want to forget to put that back on. Bad ju-ju.
 All removed. Ta da. 8 bolts, everyone of them needed a different extension or ratchet setup. One on the top was loose, really bad, so I think maybe the threads are stripped. If so, I'll have to tap and put a helicoil in. Or go to a bigger bolt. Have to wait until I put it back on.
 Tiny little thing. Heavy, but tiny.
 The shop I have been talking to in Toronto, East Marine Inc, had a new one in stock, but not the right gear ratio. Oh well.
In a couple of weeks I'll get it down to Toronto so they can have a look at it. I tried to get them to give me an idea of the cost to rough up the cones, but they wouldn't bite. They just said the mechanic will have to look at it first. I wish I knew someone who knew them. It is a small market, I have asked around, and no one had a name for me to contact, not even the Yanmar newsgroup. And, these guys were the only ones I could find on the internet. Good news is they sell brand new Yanmars, $7k for a new 2YM15. Not too bad, but not this year.

I installed the lids on the port side quaterberth. The deck still needs paint, and fiddles, but its looking better.
 Then I mounted the seat. Its one of those fishing boat folding seats, but fits the space well, and I got it for $10 at a neighbors yard sale. It has an aluminum frame, and I used stainless bolts to mount it, but I have a feeling that there are some non-stainless fastners that will need attention after we hit salt water.
 I also installed the new electrical panel. This one is a lot nicer than the first one. All that is left now is to start wiring the boat. Soon....
Thats it. Today we are planning on putting up a wooden frame and covering the boat. I was going to leave it uncovered, but there are just too many leaks at the moment, a couple of windows, and some holes in the fore deck.

Later....



No comments:

Post a Comment