We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Nov 08, Update

I wish I could say that I've got a lot done in the past two weeks, but the truth is, that I have been rather slothful. We managed to get our Xmas shopping all but done, the tree is up, and the camper is winterized. Actually went out for an evening with friends, something we haven't done in months, and got a little boat work done. It has turned cold here, well below freezing in the morning, and just peaking its head above for the afternoon. We have been putting back too much beer in the evenings snuggled up in our little house. And all of this has led to a rather slower pace than usual. Its time though, we have a few days of nice weather coming, so we'll get all the loose ends tied up for the winter. I have a weeks worth of sewing to do for club members, or so, and then Vita will be pretty much on her own until spring. I will try and get some things done while its cold, as epoxy doesn't mind the cold weather.

Below is a picture of the drawer fronts and face frame for under the Nav station. I will make the drawers today, and hopefully get a chance to install them tomorrow. Its been a long time since I have made cabinets but its nice to see that I can still figure it out.
 I also made and finished a new electrical control panel. The first one was really crappy. Its one of the problems with working on a boat, nothing is square, nothing is straight, and everything usually ends of getting done twice. Plus, the second time around I usually fix my mistakes. Besides that, Serena said I had to fix it, it was ugly.
 And, here are the port side quarterberth compartment lids. Two coats of paint on either side. I did them at home in the shop because its easier and warmer. Plus there isn't a lot of extra room to lay things out in the boat. It'll be nice to get them in the boat and mount the seat for the Nav station permanently. I'll try and get that done this weekend too. The quarterberth itself is still lacking a coat of paint, but its way past the temperature that allows that kind of work.
That's it, told you I have been slothful. I have managed to keep up my guitar practice, mostly. Its my retirement hobby, learn the guitar. I found Eileen Quinn's ( http://www.eileenquinn.com/ ) sheet music on line, and will order it soon. Those of you who have never heard of Eileen are missing one of the cruising greats. She is a singer/songwriter that writes humorous songs about the cruising life. Her and her husband traveled around the eastern seaboard and the Carribean for 12 years or so in Vita's sister a Bayfield 36 named Little Gidding. A few years ago they swallowed the anchor and headed back to Canada to settle down. I had lost track of them and was searching the internet to find out where they had gotten to. Eventually I found an old blog entry that mentioned they were rebuilding an old cottage. Turns out they are 6 kms from our house. What a small world. Perhaps I'll talk them into a Timmy's coffee one day, and I can bend their ear.

That's it for now, off to the shop to get some work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment