We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Mast is Ready

I think we have about 25 man hours into the mast now. Amazing how much work it takes to get so simple a thing done.

1. New conduit run from the base to the mast head, riveted to the mast every 18" or so;
2. New standing rigging;
3. New running rigging, 5 new halyards;
4. New topping lift set up;
5. New lazy jack set up;
6. New TV antenna;
7. New VHF antenna;
8. New masthead tri-light with anchor light;
9. New steaming/deck light;
10. New wiring, all of it, properly done with correct marine wire;
11. New hole in the bottom of the mast for all the wire;
12. New support for the VHF antenna;
13. New roller furling line; and
14. Test all electrical connections.

Of course, when I put it like this, it looks like a lot more.






The mount for the VHF had to be attached to the mast strongly, and keep the VHF antenna 36" from the top of the TV antenna so that I don't damage the TV amplifier or the TV when I transmit with the VHF. I had a lot of problems getting this done, but the finish product was quite nice.

I had to rewire the mast head tri-light/anchor light. Not too bad though. changed the slide connectors to ring type, removing the manufactures connections and screwing in my own. Much better. Put heat shrink on all connectors. Tested good. A little 3M 4200 sealant on the ring will stop the lens from coming off. A very little though.

The TV antenna was really straight forward. The kit came with everything. I did however break my riveting tool on the second stainless steel rivet, and had to run down to Crappy Trash (Canadian Tire), to pick up a new one. Bought the Stanley, guaranteed for life one, much nicer.

Had to drill a new hole for the topping lift shackle, as the old hole got in the way of the new position for the sheave. Way back, I put the mainsail on the mast to see if I had room to move the boom up, I didn't, but I found out that the mainsail halyard was too close to the mast and was crushing the top of the mainsail into the mast. Then, while working on the mast, I noticed that the main halyard sheave had 3 positions, and the one it was on was closest to the mast, so I moved it out to the furthest one to relieve the tension on the sail. Unfortunately this didn't leave enough room for the new topping lift, so I have to redrill and move it. Pain in the butt, however an easy fix. With my luck, it will probably be in the way of the sail......There should be enough room, cross fingers, knock on wood.


Tomorrow we hope to fix the exhaust leak, adjust the stuffing box, and step the mast. Then I will be taking a week off from boat stuff to finish the landscaping at home, and have a really big garage sale. First purge, we are planning on getting rid of everything next year, this is just the first step.

Later, and fair winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment