We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Monday, February 27, 2012

Staysail Continued... Part II

Its been a good day. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on the sail, but I accomplished some big milestones. I finished the foot and the leech tapes, installed the boltrope, including the eyelets on either end and the first of 7 sewn in rings in the tack.
 The sewn in tack, spliced around the thimble and hand sewn to the sail.
 And this is the head eyelet. notice the boltrope sewn tight against the edge of the sail. As recommended, I used a zipper foot, and moved the needle over as far as it would go in order to get the rope in tight. The neat thing though, is that it was the last stitch the machine will make on this sail, (except adding the logo), and it really made the big lump of material actually look like a sail. Its really cool.
And here is the first brass ring sewn in and sewn to the eyelet. The brass ring gets 2 rows of stitching around the outside, an inner and outer, to really distribute the load. The only thing left for this corner is to add the leather patch over the stitching to prevent chafe.

I am really starting to get into this. Its a lot of fun. In fact, I am beginning to think I missed my calling. If I wasn't retired I would seriously be think of becoming a Sailmaker, or maybe canvas worker. I guess I'll just have to do it for friends, and they can thank me with beer, of course.

Till next time....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment