We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Making Sails

Okay, 2 days in, and I am beginning to wonder if buying the sails wouldn't have been a better idea. I did save a few pennies, and its a great experience, but holy crap.... its hard work.

I had originally cleared out my shop and set up a 4' x 8' table, which was fine for sewing curtains and little stuff, I even used it to tie over 120 hair jigs for fishing, but for sewing sails, it was totally useless. So, I had to rip that apart and get as big a space as possible to lay the sail out on the floor. I even had to let it run through the door into the office, and still had to move the machine back a few feet in order to sew the first seam just over 13'.

As this was my first attempt at making a sail, I decided to start on the staysail. I figured the main was a little more critical, so I would practice up on the least critical sail first. I watched the videos from Sailrite, and read over the instructions several times, then dove in. This sail was designed with 2 sets of reef points, that way I can reef it down to storm jib size. I also had the kit made with 7.4 oz dacron to make sure it was strong enough, and just so it was that much more difficult to handle through a sewing machine. Yeeeah.

First step, make sure everything is there; check! Then cut out the 14 - 4" square pieces to make the intermediate reef points. From Scrap material provided with the kit. They gave me enough extra material that I could almost make another sail, it was a big piece. Can you say spares kit!!!

Then baste the little patches together, two layers thick, and to the sail on the factory indicated spots. Roll up the sail for access and sew. Put a hole in the center and install a spur grommet. Ta Da, not magic, but felt good anyway.
Next I sewed the panels together. Basting them with double sided tape provided with the kit, and put 3 rows of stitches down the 1" seam. I asked for the sail to be designed for triple stitched seams for strength. Notice in the picture that the panels don't line up really well, that's because they curve the seams to impart the draft in the sail. A neat concept, but a pain in the ass to sew, or roll, or deal with in anyway. Also knee pads.... life savor.
I put together the first 3 panels, as the next step is to put on the leech and luff reef patches. Lucky for me they over lap the panel seams, so I get to try and put them in after the panels are together, so there is twice as much material to work around. And who says sarcasm is dead.
 Triple Stitched Seam
 First Reef Luff Patch
 First Reef Leech Patch
The luff patch is 5 layers plus the panel, and the leech patch is 6 layers plus the panel. You would think that would be hard for any sewing machine to get through, but the LSZ-1 just motors right along like it was sewing some light canvas. Just awesome.... Trying to maneuver that thick patch around the machine was fun, especially attached to the sail. I ended up moving the machine around instead, whenever there was a direction change. On my hands and knees, running the machine pedal with my right hand, and feeding the fabric with my left hand, because with so much weight, the machine was having a hard time moving the fabric through and keeping the 3/16" x 3/16" size stitch that is recommended. If I had of had another hand or two, now that would have made things easier. But alas, I am only a poor two handed human.

Sew, (pun intended), its coming, with a lot more to go. I am looking forward to the finishing parts. I don't know why, masochism perhaps, but I like the hand work better (no pun intended, you sick #$%^#%).

I'll probably have a few more posts over the next couple of weeks as I try and finish up these two sails. I can't believe that the sailing season is just around the corner. I got my membership paperwork today, for the yacht club, and the first work party is scheduled for the end of march, 5 weeks away. Woo Hoo.....

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment