We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Introducing; The Family Car


Yes I know the obvious, its not a car. But apparently in the cruising world, this is the equivalent. Cheaper than the car, better gas mileage, but not so protective of the elements. Just imagine the shape the groceries would be in after driving home in a rain storm. Though it should get us from the mother ship to the grocery store, the cafe, or the pub, as required. Yes, I said mother ship, but please don't tell Serena that I know she is an alien........

All kidding aside; area 51; Serena and I pulled the add-a-tube kit out of the box yesterday and managed to get the dinghy put together. What a difference these tubes make. Serena stepped on the gunnel today, and up onto the dock. If she had of tried that before the tubes, we would have been swimming with the fishes. This set up is really amazing; better than I could have imagined. Stable, more load carrying capacity, but still easy to motor, row, and carry. I am not sure about the lifespan of the hypalon tubes, but if we get 5 years out of them, it will be a big kudos to Walker Bay. Now if I can only talk her into letting me get the sail kit...

The unfortunate part is that the motor is acting up. It was in storage for 2 years, so some buildup is expected. But, according to my online research, Suzuki reduced the size of the fuel jets in order to meet the EPA restrictions, and because of that the jets get gummed up fast. Looks like I might have to pull the jets and clean them, then run either high test gas, or regular gas with an additive like Sea Foam. The motor also has a bad track record with ethanol, like most engines, thanks Mr. Bush; ethanol, great idea!!!! We own 3 engines, the truck, the boat, and the dinghy, and all of them are acting up. I think its a conspiracy, maybe Gremlins.

I took a good look at the engine on Thursday. And Friday, finally figured out that the fuel pickup from the tank is allowing air in. I sent an email to Marine Outfitters to get a new one. Hopefully this week. Then I will try once again to bleed the engine. Although I bypassed everything with a hose, and still could not get fuel from the injectors. I guess this is what you would call a crash course in diesel engines. But it is good experience for me.

There are a bunch of other things we got done in the last few days. Installed the 110V system permanently. cleared a lot of things from the storage unit, and sorted through it all. Work parties, helping people with their masts, cutting holes in other peoples boats, etc..... Tomorrow we go to Toronto for charts, guide books, engine parts, and whatever West Marine has to offer. The deadline is getting closer. I would hate to actually be homeless for real.

Life should be an adventure, but even that should have limits at my age.


No comments:

Post a Comment