We've Moved

HEY EVERYBODY, WE'VE MOVED

Our blog had gotten too large, and it was getting to the point where it was difficult to comb through looking for specific posts or information. So we have developed a new blog at SailingVita.ca Come and see whats happening now.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Good Morning Class

And what did you do for your vacation? Robert? I went to the Toronto International Boat Show, and it was awesome! Ok, truth, it was good, but did it ever wear me out. I hate shopping.

My two day visit to the boat show in Toronto, just over. We went Monday/Tuesday this year, and it was a good time had by all. No crowds, and no rude, irritating children. From now on we'll stay away on weekends, this was definitely better. Unfortunately, going on the 3rd day of the show, you miss some of the clearance items that get scooped up early, but more importantly, you miss some of the best seminars and their speakers.

I missed Paul and Sheryl Shard this year. For the uninitiated, they are Canadian cruising sailors who built there own 37' boat from an empty hull, and cruised around the North Atlantic, Carribean and the Mediterranean making videos about sailing and creating a half hour television show called Distant Shores portraying their adventures. They are pretty cool, and although I have spoke to them several times before, and watched some of their previous seminars in other years, I still would have liked to see them again. Perhaps I will one day, in an anchorage somewhere out there.

Its funny. My whole life, or at least as long as I can remember, I have picked on people who are star struck. I could never understand how someone could idolize a movie star, or musician, or sports star, or royalty. These people have never done anything noteworthy; really. As I have said many times in the past, “the farmer down the road deserves my admiration more than they do.” But the truth is, I have my hero’s too, and for whatever reason possesses people to go gaga over Ja Lo, its the same thing that compels me to seek out and be in the presence of those sailors that have helped me create the dream of the cruising life, through their writings and videos.

Now I am not saying that I would kick Ja Lo out of bed for eating “Crackers”, and if the Queen of England showed up for tea, I would try my best to be a gracious host. However, if Lin and Larry Pardey pulled into the driveway, I would be so beside myself that I wouldn't even be able to speak. In fact Lin sent me an email the other day in reference to a question I had placed on their website, using her personal email, and it was like Xmas, my birthday, and losing my virginity, all rolled into one with a side order of Ja Lo to boot. And that was just a simple email.

Okay, that might be a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea. Luckily for me I got the chance to talk to John Neal of Mahina Tiare III, at the boat show. He may not be on the top of my list, but Robby royalty nonetheless. His wife was a wonderful speaker and we really enjoyed her seminar on Galley Essentials.

So here is my list of hero's. Feel free to look them up on the internet. Also, if you must, take a moment and laugh at me for idolizing people who haven't accomplished anything important. Truth is, although I may idolize them and praise them for what they have given me, I still have more respect and admiration for the farmer down the road.

Henry David Thoreau – Not a sailor. At least not as much as I am aware. However, he is perhaps the father of North American Philosophy, and his book Walden, takes a look at the pathetic nature of our society, while highlighting a simpler existence. Goals I strive for, although unsuccessfully as of yet. What do they say, “its not the destination, its the journey.”

Lin and Larry Pardey – If you have ever seen a sailboat, you have probably heard of this amazing couple. Authors of several books, four videos, and innumerable articles on sailing and the sailing life, they are my generations cruising gods. They have a utilitarian view of cruising, preferring to embrace the KISS principles, and using the remainder of their energy to focus on enjoying life. Everyone could learn a little from them on this.

James Baldwin of Atom– Perhaps not as well known as the two above, James has circumnavigated the world twice in a 28 foot Triton. A small boat designed by Carl Alberg, and built by the Pearson brothers. Often touted as the first fibreglass production boat in the world. More importantly though, James believes in small boats, just like the Pardey's “go small, go simple, go now” philosophy. And perhaps most importantly, he believes in modifying a boat in the most basic ways to make almost anything a safe, yet compact ocean cruiser. Check out his site. If your an advocate of small ocean cruisers, this guy will be your deity.

Paul and Sheryl Shard – If only because they are Canadian and sailing famous. They are refreshingly down to earth when you talk to them, and although they and their show has changed to become much more commercial over the years, they still started out in a bare bones simplistic way, and that is to be admired. Try their shows. We find their first couple of seasons were more focused on sailing, whereas the newer shows are more about the travel, but still nice to watch when snowed under, during a frosty Canadian winter.

Nigel Calder – The guru of maintenance. You can't own a sailboat and not own one his books. At least not unless you are omnipotent.

The truth is, I feel a little sheepish mentioning all these names. But each and everyone of them have been an inspiration to me, and this list is by no means exhaustive.

Liza and Andy Copeland
John Vigor
Annie Hill
Don Casey
Beth Leonard and Evans Starzinger
Reese Palley
Herb Payson
John Neal
Ann Vanderhoof
Dave and Jaja Martin
Anne Hammick
John Guzzwell
Rebecca Burg
Deb Cantrell
Jim Moore
Dan Spurr
Emiliano Marino

And the remainder of the list is pretty much anyone who has done it. And by done it, I mean cut the dock lines, cruised and lived the dream. And that list is endless. Although special note should be given to anyone who has written about it, so that I may be a part of their dream too.

Okay. Well. I have a crap load of stuff to do now. We purchased a bunch of equipment at the boat show, and I will blog about that soon. For now I need get started sewing. I have a list as long as my arm, and as long as it is related to the boat in some way, I'll post it here.

Cheers.

Rob :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment